Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Paddy's Day!

I am a good part Irish, so I always celebrate St. Patrick's!  That being said, here are a few things I HATE about the holiday in America:

*green beer.  What is the point in green beer?  Ew.  I will never comprehend that.

*stupid costumes made to look like Leprechauns or giant green... people.  I can't fathom why dressing like the Lucky Charms guy makes you so very Irish.  That whole iconography was created by a cereal company.  It's not all that Irish.

*people who think red hair is an Irish thing and make a big deal out of it.  It was a mutation in genes and originated in England.  Some of those people happened to colonize in Ireland, and over time blended with the Irish and the red-head gene was incorporated.  I think I learned this in my biology class.

*How crowded the pub gets with drunk people who all feel they have to scream instead of talk.

Anyways, here are things I LOVE about the holiday:

*Guinness.

*Friends who come out to the pub with us.

*An excuse to wear green (which I don't really need, as I own a lot of green clothes).

*An excuse to drink on a weekday.  Even though I have work tomorrow morning.

*The music.  I often listen to Celtic music anyway, but it's nice to see some local bands that try to play some tunes, or hear recordings in public places (which is funny because I get lots of accusing looks when I listen to Celtic music in my car any other time of year.  This is the one day people actually try to find Celtic Pandora stations and whatnot).


So, on Saturday, I will be singing some Irish tunes, mostly of the drinking assortment, with some lovely people.  Here are the YouTube versions of a couple (both are renditions by Gaelic Storm, because they are upbeat and fun):





(I didn't make the videos, they are not official videos, either.  I just found them on YouTube HERE and HERE.)

Happy St. Paddy's Day!  Avoid green beer and drunken "Leprechauns", have a Guinness or Smithwick's and listen to some good music!
Pin It!

1 comment:

Love Notes