Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Language of Tattoos

I have four tattoos.  I love them.  I often am asked some things about them ranging from what they mean to "don't you worry about what they will look like when your skin changes as you get older?"  I have even had people come up and just touch them... POKE at them... and ask if it's something that bothers me.  Well, yes it does bother me.  Why would you poke at a person you don't know?  I could be crazy and bite off your finger!  You don't know!  Just don't poke strangers!

All my tats have meaning to me, and usually, I am willing to share with people what they mean.  If you ask me nicely, I will usually share.  If you start touching me without permission, or say something incredibly rude, I won't share with you.  Basically, it's common sense.  There's a great post about tattoo etiquette already written by Kaelah from LCH, so I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.  I just wanted to say my piece, too.  Ha.

Anyway, I like to commemorate big occurrences in my life with ink.  I love that I can see an image that depicts all my life's milestones and always have them with me.  Since Bear and I are getting married, I have been trying to think of what tattoo I can get that would be perfect for that occasion.  I am considering getting a tattoo on my ring finger.  I also really am trying to figure out something to do for my love of photography.

Here are some photos of tattoos I love on Flickr:

polaroid*tattoo

Lauren

Camera Tattoo

ringen

Another cute tattoo ring that incorporates a camera!

This follows my film strip tattoo idea to a T!


I try not to post my own tattoos in their entirety online; imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but I believe people should design their own ink if they are truly committed to it.  Then again, that's just my opinion.  Also, I really only have two tats people may want to copy.  The first two I got were done by a beginner in my college dorm room (I strongly advise against this; the first one I got desperately needs work.  It's an embarrassment, but I did the design and it still means a lot to me personally).

Do any of you have tattoos?  Did anyone else get a wedding band tattoo?  I'd love to hear any thoughts and experiences!

Happy Tuesday!
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. So...I'm totally late to this post, but it was on the Top 3 Post this Week tab on your sidebar haha

    1) Now I'm totally curious to see all your tattoos. I understand the 'mystery' thing, but I can't help but wonder!

    2) I have a 'weddingband' type tattoo. I'm not sure if you've seen it, but I'm going to post a picture of it tomorrow in my Humpty-Dumpty post, but it'll be somewhat covered with my wedding ring! It's just a V (for my husbands name) and three dots on the side, for no reason other than to balance it out. I chose to do something simple on the top of my finger, which is the only good place to get it tattooed. Fingers don't heal well as it is, and every great tattoo artist I've talked to said they would refuse to do anything but the tops. If you do the side of the bottom of the finger it will NOT look good, no matter how many touchups you get! So if you do a ring tattoo, just do the top. It'll also look less cluttered on your finger and will still look good in 50 years.

    3) Whoa. That was a book.

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes