Thursday, December 1, 2011

Holiday Spirit

It's difficult for me to focus on the holidays... I've been so busy with wedding wedding wedding I realized I have to get on holiday gifts!  Oops!  To get me back on track, I am stealing this little questionnaire from Patchie's post today!  Happy December 1st!

Engagement Mistletoe



1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?


Hot chocolate, I guess... but honestly, I prefer coffee and cognac. Yum.


2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?


Santa always wrapped presents unless they were really big things, like bicycles or Playmobile sets, in which case they were set up and ready to wow!


3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?


I prefer white lights, especially the cool white LEDs. If there are colored lights, I prefer blues.


4. Do you hang mistletoe?


Yes! We have this mistletoe from Bear's past that we always forget to tack up, and then it manages to stay up until June... right between the living room and the kitchen. Lots of kisses for all!


5. When do you put your decorations up?


We usually try for Black Friday, but this year is so hectic... we're hoping to get things decorated before Christmas!


6. What is your favorite holiday dish?


Ham and veggie bundles (carrots and green beans wrapped in bacon and baked in a brown sugar/butter/garlic glaze... ohmyyum!).


7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?


When I was in eighth grade, my family and I went to Williamsburg for Christmas season, and were coming back home Christmas day. My brother is three years my junior, so he was still a Santa fan. I was totally concerned how he would handle coming home to a bare tree since my parents were with us... no way "Santa" would be able to make it! When we got home I rushed inside, trying rather unsuccessfully to beat my brother up the stairs. His Santa enthusiasm gave him super strength! I was bracing myself for the tears and a long explanation, but instead heard the usual Christmas morning "Santa came! Come on, Santa was here!" I climbed the stairs and low and behold, the gifts were all under the tree, festooned with "Santa" tags. It was like a Christmas miracle! (Later I found out my parents had given some friends the gifts and keys to the house, and their family spent the time we were gone wrapping and setting up our tree for my little brother... awesome!)


8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?


I was in the third grade. I liked to help out in the library after school (some things never change) and I was super excited about the Christmas season that year. Someone in my class told me Santa didn't exist, and I determined to research the matter and prove them wrong. What I found after finding "The Truth About Santa" in the card catalog broke my heart. There was the approximated lifespan of St. Nicholas, and a photograph of a gravestone decked out in holly by the locals. I cried for DAYS. My mom explained that Santa is real, but he's more a frame of mind than a man. She also let me be an "elf" that year. I got to put together my brother's big Santa present. Watching him get excited over the Playmobile castle I helped build the next morning made it all okay that the library book told me Santa Claus was dead. That year I learned that seeing my brother happy like that was magical enough for me!


9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?


Yes, ONE gift. It's usually from my godparents. Now, we get Christmas night pajamas, a tradition in Bear's family.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?


Currently, we are using Bear's grandmother's white tree. Last year we did a silver and blue theme, with blue and ice white LED lights. This year, I am thinking of layering some fun colors in a rainbow effect...

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?


I love to look at snow and catch flakes on my tongue... but it gets old really fast! I hate driving in it, because I tend to get lost in my Star Wars soundtrack... it looks so much like lightspeed from Star Wars or Star Trek! Cool... but not easy to focus through...

12. Can you ice skate?


I haven't tried in so long, I have no idea. I have a pair of ice skate I bought from the Local Theatre a few years back that wound up too big for me (and probably still are). I am the master of skate-skate-fall-flail-wait for someone to rescue me.


13. Do you remember your favorite gift?


Every year Bear and I split Christmas between our families. We go to Christmas Eve mass with my family, return to their home and open presents, and go back to our home so we can wake up early and have Christmas morning with his family. Last year, Christmas with my family ran a little longer than usual and Bear was getting antsy. I figured he was exhausted and maybe even a little angry that we were going home so late. When we got home I went to put a few things away and came back to the bedroom where Bear had gone. Our Christmas tree is in there since we have cats and try to keep them away from the tree. He was standing next to the tree with his arms open. I walked into his embrace and he professed his love... a little odd but cute. Then he got down on one knee and proposed. My ring I guess is the gift in this situation, but I think more our future life together was the real gift I received.

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?


Family. Spending time with those you love and showing your appreciation for them.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?


Gingerbread, Scottish Shortbread, and Snickerdoodles!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?


Every year, we watch those Christmas stop motions; Rudolph, Frosty, Baby New Year, Father Time, Eon, the Island of Misfit Toys, Hermes the Dental Elf... these are all well loved friends this time of year!

17. What tops your tree?

My parents have an angel. Bear's parents have a star. We change it up every year.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?


I love giving gifts and see the recipient's face light up! But... getting things is pretty fun too!

19. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum?


YUM.

20. Favorite Christmas show? Show or movie?


Holiday Inn and White Christmas, both starring Bing Crosby. I love Bing... we listen to his holiday songs on 45s every year while decorating!

21. Saddest Christmas Song?


Blue Christmas or I'll Be Home for Christmas.

22. What is your favorite Christmas song?


White Christmas. Hands down.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Notes